Thursday, November 10, 2011

Day 86 - Late start

You never really can tell how long something is going to take. I didn't begin my day's trip till much later than I'd planned, but it still worked out great. Also, today was quite different than my experiences hitching in South Carolina. I have indeed left the south and reentered the north.

My first ride came as I was walking to the onramp, thumbing as I went. Sped up my day quite a bit, thanks to a drummer, programmer, and college student who picked me up.

Getting to the turnpike onramp, I started out with a generic sign saying 'East.' I had to give it up fairly quick, though, after two people stopped and offered to take me just a few miles down the road. I needed to give people a better description, so that the many kind people who couldn't get me to a better spot wouldn't stop. So I said 'Cocoa,' and soon I was on my way to Cocoa with a retired NASA engineer, Marine pilot, and currently a hobby pilot who has owned as many as 5 airplanes at a time, and has made connections with doctors and others through his flying. Really solid connections, too, who performed operations when he needed them at no cost. These are also doctors who buy $400,000 planes.

Ride number three came from a member of the Air Force returning home from work. With no history of twins on either his or his wife's side, they've still managed to have two sets.

Ride four was a very short hop, 3 exits down but I was glad for them, as they moved me to a truck stop and a better location.

Ride five requires more description than I care to write tonight, because he got me all the way down to Boca Raton to visit my friend, and had an awesome life story to share. I'll edit this later to include a bit :)

And that brings me to my evening activity: meeting up with another awesome page friend and seeing where our lives have brought us.

Trip Stats:
Distance Traveled: 192 miles
Total Time: 4:30
Google Estimated: 3:07
# of rides: 5
Total Cost: $12.00

No comments:

Post a Comment