Sunday, November 6, 2011

Day 82 - Sunday in Virginia

I've mentioned it before, but I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. A 'mormon.' And one of the things we do is create congregations based on geography, language, and one other criteria. Marital status. Entire congregations that consist solely of singles, either in the 18-30 age range, or in the +30. It's a pretty awesome system, and really does help you to associate with people who are in a similar stage in life and with similar problems and successes. And if you're looking for singles units, DC is one of the best places to be.

I attended the District of Columbia YSA (Young Single Adult) second ward, just across the border from Bethesda, Maryland. It's one of the largest YSA congregations I've been to, and it had some interesting features because of it. Generally new visitors and members are invited to introduce themselves in the second hour, when people move into a smaller classroom and things are a bit more intimate. Because of the number of people in this ward, though, introducing  yourself in that group would have only introduced you to a third or a quarter of the members, so they do it at the end of the first hour. I introduced myself as being from San Francisco and currently hitchhiking across the country. Immediately after the service, a number of people came over to introduce themselves and ask about the experience, including another couchsurfer. One of the girls invited me over to a potluck dinner being done at a friend's house. I love people like that, who go out of their way to make someone else's life a bit more fun.

Church was wonderful. The dinner was excellent, and the company enjoyable. I was able to find a late night response to my CS requests for Arlington, and I feel ready to move on in the morning. After over a week of relaxing in cities and taking buses from place to place, it's going to be nice to be thumbing it again. Here's hoping for the Carolinas by sundown!

Trip Stats
Total Distance: 0 miles
Total Time: 0:00
Google Estimated: 0:00
# of Rides: 1
Total Cost: $3.70

No comments:

Post a Comment