Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Day 85 - Truckers!

I made it out of South Carolina! I'm sure it's full of wonderful people, but it wasn't a very hitchhiker friendly crowd. I think I'd like to explore it more some time when I have my own means of transportation.

I had three rides today, but barely spoke to any of them. The first I had take me a mile up the interstate, only to find that the nearby rest area was shut down, and so I walked back to where I'd begun. A nice guy, but I can't say anything more about him.

The second person to pick me up was a truck driver on his way back to Georgia. He was hauling a load of paper, supposedly 45,000 lbs worth, but wet. Because of this he was avoiding the scales by driving on back roads, and could only take me the first 80 miles or so to Savannah. His AC didn't work, and so we kept the windows down. Unfortunately, because of the noise and me being a bit hoarse, we had almost no conversation.

The third person to pick me up was another awesome truck driver. He'd taken out the second seat in the cab of his truck, and said that he couldn't take me up front, but he did have a solution: he was driving a trailer with 6 cars on it, and offered to let me ride in one. However, he could get in trouble if I was seen, so it was on one condition: I needed to lay down and stay out of sight, especially when he slowed down for scales. Also, not only was he going through Savannah, he was going all the way through Orlando! I decided that, as nice as Savannah probably would have been, I wasn't going to risk another day stuck on the side of the road. Plus, I could do the whole thing while riding in my own car, laying back and taking a nap. Way too awesome an experience to pass up :D

I made it to Orlando at around 11pm, caught a bus into the main part of the city, met up with my CS host, and promptly joined him in making a menthol/eucalyptus vapor tent on the stove, strong enough that after standing under it for a few seconds I couldn't see a thing. So, being good friends, we got his roommate and his girlfriend to come experience it too. We then sampled his spice cabinets. So many things I haven't tried!

Trip Stats
Distance Traveled: 451 miles
Total Time: 15 hours
Google Estimated: 7:26
# of Rides: 3
Total Cost: $6.75

No comments:

Post a Comment