Friday, October 14, 2011

Day 60 - The benefits of anonymity

Because of the fact that I'm a hitchhiker, and people know that they will likely never see me again, and I'll never see them either, I'm told many things that would generally not come up when two people first meet. Examples include sexual preference, prison time, legal status, and more. Today, it was the drug trade.

This isn't the first time I've been in close contact with drug dealers on this trip (I've met more than a few people who traffic in illegal drugs, either on a regular basis or from time to time). It was, however, the first time I've (presumably, as I saw nothing) been in very close proximity to a  number of illicit drugs. It was also the first time I've been able to have an extended conversation about them, how they're acquired, how they're sold, and what sort of income can be made through them. Without detailing the answers in this blog post, I'll just say that in two runs per month, this person has a higher annual income than I'm likely to have for years, more than what I hope to someday raise a family on.

I also find it interesting that a number of the people I've met who trade in drugs don't use them in their own lives. The drug business is a shady thing, I do believe. For most drugs, the only purpose is to make money. It's a sad, sad thing.

Trip Stats:
Total Distance:
Total Time: 7 hours
Google Estimate:
# of Rides: 2
Total Cost: $9.90

No comments:

Post a Comment