Saturday, October 8, 2011

Day 55 - Gateway to the West

...or in my case, Gateway to the East.

A two hitch day, and an excellent one. My first ride came from Chris, a retired firefighter turned commercial truck driver. A fall through a staircase while on the job cost him his mobility in one arm, but it doesn't see to have done much to dampen his spirits or his faith. He was positive, friendly, and when he found out that the recipient of his delivery was going to be a bit delayed, he took a detour to show me the access point to a caving attraction. He mentioned that he'd seen me the day before at the Flying J, but had to hurry to make a delivery and wasn't able to give me a lift. Today there wasn't nearly the constraint, and I'm glad for it. It's fun running into people a second time, even if I had no idea :)

My second ride was with an awesome Ukrainian family. Not only did they get me from the outskirts into town, but they took me right into Forest Park, home of free museums, the St. Louis Zoo, and the Muny (America's oldest and largest outdoor musical theater). Their families had each moved to St. Louis from Ukraine years ago, where they later met. Now they have three children, all of whom are very friendly, especially the one who shares my name!

St. Louis itself is also proving to be a blast. I had three hours, and only made it through the art museum, and that a rather quick pace. It's much more than what I would generally expect from something that you don't have to pay to enter. It's supported primarily by city funds, adding to the yearly taxes of those in the area. But, as my couchsurfing host said, the amount that is paid per person is so small, and the use and pleasure that is received by virtually all of the city is so great, that even if people only go once a year it's very easy to justify the cost. Imagine if every city thought that way. I've been impressed with the amount of public art that I've seen in some locations, and I can only imagine that it would be even better with more.

Can't say too much more about the city just yet, but more to come! I'm hoping for some time at the zoo tomorrow, which is ranked #1 on in the Midwest and #3 in the nation. And to think...it won't cost me, or anyone else who enters, so much as a penny to see it.






Trip Stats:
Total Distance: 213 miles
Total Time: 6 hours
Google Estimated Time: 3:39 hours
# of Rides: 2
Total Cost: $0.00

No comments:

Post a Comment