Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Day 51 - Surprises of the Midwest

The Midwest: A massed region that is thought to be full of hicks and more conservative people with dull, boring accents. These are bigotted, narrow-minded people from other regions who say this.  --Urban Dictionary


You know, when I first headed out into the midwestern states, I wasn't expecting much at all. My expectations weren't quite as low as above, but...well, I expected that I'd leave feeling one day had been enough. Virtually every place I've visited has proved to deserve more time than I could give it, and Omaha, NE is no exception. This city is amazing.


First, the architecture. The number of turn of the century buildings is incredible, if understandable. That so many of them have been renovated and continue forward, be it in their original purpose or otherwise, is wonderful. The Omaha Building, an example of the Italian Renaissance style, was beautiful. My favorite, however, was the Old Market Passageway. A three story alley that's been repurposed into a beautiful atrium space for galleries, wine tasting, and design-oriented firms, it's incredibly well done, comfortable, and inviting. The Old Market area in general is very well done, obviously targeted at tourists but in a very welcome way. Oh, and the more modern buildings like the Union Pacific Center are worth a peek as well. It might not be as flashy as Gehry's work, but very well done nonetheless. 


Second, the art. Walking through the Gene Leahy Mall (think National Mall, not Mall of America) was a treat. Lots of modern art and sculpture, a landscape that makes use of water in a number of clever ways, and what appears to be a bridge that turns out to be a giant slide. The galleries in the Old Market were full of wonderful works by local artists. Sculpture could also be found around the more modern buildings. 


I'm also told that the music scene is incredibly good, though I can't speak to it myself. The Omaha Zoo is said to be well worth a visit, as is the Joslyn Art Museum. I hear that having a steak out here isn't a bad idea, either. Whatever way you look at it, though, Omaha is a place to come back to.


Hitch Notes


Only one ride today, but what a great one! The dean of the music department of Kansas University took me all the way to the Brown vs. Board of Education Museum in Topeka, Kansas. A Texan who has also lived in Utah and is familiar with Pocatello, Idaho, he was a friendly and very knowledgeable driver. I have a small set of notes of people and places to research courtesy of him, and perhaps an architect to meet in Louisiana. 


Trip Stats:
Total Distance: 144 miles
Total Time: ~3 hours
Google Estimate: 2:42 hours
Total Spent: $1.23

No comments:

Post a Comment